Re: Server not listening... easy fix or workaround? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Server not listening... easy fix or workaround?
Date
List pgsql-novice
Rainer Schuetz <rs@bagong.de> writes:
> The server was installed nicely, I could initialize the default
> database, create passwords, users, databases, import my saved data
> from a older install and access all this through pgadmin. Pgadmin also
> offers the possibility to edit configuration-files, but there is a
> problem: you have to be able to access them ;) and you can't offer
> file-system credentials through pgadmin (not that I knew you
> could). So I thought I add myself (the OSX-user) to the postgres group
> and make the defaultdb folders and file readable for the group and the
> .conf-files read-writable... As a result pgadmin wouldn't be able to
> access the server any more with an error message starting similar to:
> the server is not listening at 127.0.0.1 on port

If you look into the server's log file, you will probably find out that
it's refusing to start because of the insecure permissions on the data
directory.  Don't do that.  If you want to edit the config files you
need to be the postgres user.

            regards, tom lane