Re: "long" type is not appropriate for counting tuples - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: "long" type is not appropriate for counting tuples
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Could we define int64 to be long long int on all platforms and just
> always use %lld?

Hmmm ... maybe.  Once upon a time we had to cope with compilers
that didn't have "long long", but perhaps that time is past.

Another conceivable hazard is somebody deciding that the world
needs a platform where "long long" is 128 bits.  I don't know
how likely that is to happen.

As a first step, we could try asking configure to compute
sizeof(long long) and seeing what the buildfarm makes of that.