Re: Should PostgresMain() do a LWLockReleaseAll()? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Should PostgresMain() do a LWLockReleaseAll()?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Currently the error handling of normal backends only does a
> LWLockReleaseAll() once CurrentTransactionState->state != TRANS_DEFAULT
> because it's called in AbortTransaction(). There's pretty damn few
> places that fiddle with lwlocks outside of a transaction command, but I
> still do wonder whether it'd wouldn't be a tad more robust to
> unconditionally do a LWLockReleaseAll(), just like other error handlers
> are doing?

Why do that thing in particular, and not all the other things that
AbortTransaction() does?

The reason that other process main loops don't use AbortTransaction is
that they don't run transactions.  I don't think arguing from what they
do is particularly relevant to PostgresMain.