Re: Replace uses of deprecated Python module distutils.sysconfig - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Replace uses of deprecated Python module distutils.sysconfig
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> writes:
> On Mon, Jan 31, 2022 at 05:18:47PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> If nobody else has weighed in by tomorrow, I'll backpatch to v10.

> Works for me.  I agree wanting Python 3.12 w/ PG10.latest is far more likely
> than wanting Python 2.6 or 3.1.  If someone lodges a non-academic complaint,
> we could have back branches fallback to the old way if they detect a Python
> version needing the old way.  I doubt anyone will complain.

I started to do that, but paused when the patch failed on v12, which
I soon realized is because our minimum requirement before v13 was
Python 2.4 not 2.6.  That means we're moving the goalposts a bit
further in the old branches than this discussion was presuming.

I don't think this changes the conclusion any: there's still little
chance that anyone wants to build PG against such old Python versions
in 2022.  So I'm going to go ahead with patching; but does anyone want
to change their vote?  (We can always "git revert".)