Re: Substrings by Regular Expression - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Substrings by Regular Expression
Date
List pgsql-sql
Stephan Szabo <sszabo@megazone.bigpanda.com> writes:
> On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, Jim Drummey wrote:
>> pds=>  select substring( str1 from ',' ) from address;
>> ERROR:  pg_atoi: error in ",": can't parse ","
>>
>> Am I missing something?

> That functionality was added in 7.3 I believe.  You may wish
> to upgrade.

Also, it's worth noting that AFAICT the above is illegal per SQL99
--- the textual SUBSTRING variants the spec defines are
position>                        [ FOR <string length> ] <right paren>

so it looks to me like you can't omit "FOR <escape>" if you want to
adhere to the letter of the spec.  We do allow omitting that clause
as a pretty-obvious extension ... but it's important to realize that
it *is* an extension.
        regards, tom lane