Re: [GENERAL] UUID's as primary keys - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [GENERAL] UUID's as primary keys
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> writes:
> Hm, so it could be stored on disk without the length header as long as
> the length header is added to the in-memory representation? I don't
> think the type system has hooks for reading and storing data to disk
> though.

No, it doesn't, and we'd pay a nonzero price for allowing that.
Currently the executor doesn't have to care (much) about whether a
tuple is on-disk or in-memory --- the individual datums look the same
either way.  Allowing them to be different would force a lot of
format conversion steps that currently need not happen.