Re: make MaxBackends available in _PG_init - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: make MaxBackends available in _PG_init
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Tue, Apr 12, 2022 at 4:58 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> It seems after a bit of reflection that what we ought to do is identify
>> the subset of PGC_POSTMASTER GUCs that feed into shared memory sizing,
>> mark those with a new GUC flag, and not allow them to be changed after
>> shared memory is set up.

> I dunno, I feel like this is over-engineered.

It probably is.  I'm just offering this as a solution if people want to
insist on a mechanism to prevent unsafe GUC changes.  If we drop the
idea of trying to forcibly prevent extensions from Doing It Wrong,
then we don't need this, only the extra hook.