Permissions problem - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From robert_hiltibidal_at_cms08405@ccmailgw.state.il.us
Subject Permissions problem
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
Morning,        I have an interesting problem... I'm running postgres 6.4.2 on a linux     2.2.6 system. 64mg ram,
130mgswap.        I have a distributed network system here. I have some people who are     not local that need the root
passwordto the system. Access97 is     favored here so I thought I'd create a table with the password and     limit the
accessto only to those people. The idea is these and only     these people can see what the root password is without
havingto page     me.        I installed the postgres odbc driver on 1 nt machine and the rest are     win95 machines.
Thedriver was installed to prompt for the username     and password. I did take out the read only flags. There are
other    tables these people have access to and need to be able to edit.        The main Access97 database is stored on
anovell system a couple of     floors away. That database is called WebAdmin. I linked the root table     between the
linuxserver and the WebAmin.mdb file stored on the Novell     drive. I did not link the tables as root. I linked them
asuser1. Each     of the people involved can see the tables. So far so good.        The problem is I created the table
asroot on the linux server. I     limited the perms to SELECT for the people involved. Yet, we found out     the people
cando INSERT,UPDATE, and DELETE queries.         I had thought since I was logged on as user1 and then su'd to root
thatthe server attached my real user id and the root uid, to the     table. This does not seem to be the case. My www
usercannot access     tables not assigned to it.        I created the WebAdmin.mdb file from my NT box using my user1
nameand     password. Access97 tends to keep things stored in the system tables     that allows a networked office to
sharethe same information. As long     as the DSN is the same for all the computers Access97 will let all the     users
seethe same stuff. I thought perhaps Access97 was trapping my     user1 name and password in the system tables but I
didnot find them.     The DSN connection does not show my username and password.        Another factor is I can log on
tothe linux system as anyone of the     users and *still* change the data in the user table. This argues for     the
hbanot being set up right. But the server will not accept IDENT     in the auth portion. When they are on the linux
serverI want the     postgres server to use the users actual uid assigned in the passwd     file.        If these
peoplecan alter the root table unimpeded then there's a good     possibility some novell admin can do the same. In
short,I'm being     justifiably paranoid.        Attached is the root.sql file used to create the table and the
restrictions I set on it. When I created this table I was su'd to     root. I was not the postgres user. Is it possible
Ididn't set up the     perms right? I've also included a portion of the hba table. Any ideas?         -Rob         --
Y2KProject Postgres SQL Server Data Dictionary    -- Created by Robert Hiltibidal    -- 25-JUN-99            DROP TABLE
root;           CREATE TABLE root (       password varchar (10),            recnum varchar (5)    );        GRANT
SELECTon root to user1;    GRANT SELECT on root to user2;    GRANT SELECT on root to user3;    GRANT SELECT on root to
user4;   GRANT SELECT on root to user5;    GRANT SELECT on root to user6;    REVOKE INSERT,UPDATE,DELETE on root from
user2;   REVOKE INSERT,UPDATE,DELETE on root from user3;    REVOKE INSERT,UPDATE,DELETE on root from user4;    REVOKE
INSERT,UPDATE,DELETEon root from user5;    REVOKE INSERT,UPDATE,DELETE on root from user6;    REVOKE
INSERT,UPDATE,DELETEon root from user1;        ##############HBA Table        local        all
               trust    host         all          0.0.0.0       0.0.0.0           password       y2k