RE: rserv - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject RE: rserv
Date
List pgsql-general
On 08 May 2001 11:11:52 -0700, Mikheev, Vadim wrote:
> > I'm currently creating a new field of type bigint, where I store a
> > combination of the primary key, that I can assure will be unique --
> > until I get lots of entries in the main tables, that is.
> >
> > What is the "right" approach for this?
>
> "Right" way would be implement support for multi-column keys in Rserv,
> so even for tables without natural PK one could add OID to some existent
> key to get uniq identifier for all rows in tables. No one had that
> ability so far.
> You can use OID as key for Rserv. Unfortunately, you probably will have
> to create index on table.oid for better replication performance, but
> most likely that index will be useful for replication only, not for
> queries.

Ok, this works just fine. I'm able to replicate the table. Thanks for the
help. rserv has proven an excellent tool, at least for me.

BTW, I'm still trying to work out how can I replicate via a secure channel
using OpenSSH. I had to add a "port" parameter to most, if not all, the
programs so I could use a manually created tunnel; however, I'm still unable
to figure out how to do it automatically (the "script" way). The -R and
-L parameters to ssh(1), next to an appropiate way for calling the Replicate
program should do it, but I can't find the right combination.

Does the "hostssl" entry en pg_hba.conf helps me? I need to automate this...

TIA.

--
Alvaro Herrera (<alvherre[@]atentus.com>)