Re: threads stuff/UnixWare - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Larry Rosenman
Subject Re: threads stuff/UnixWare
Date
List pgsql-hackers

--On Wednesday, May 12, 2004 14:14:30 -0300 "Marc G. Fournier"
<scrappy@postgresql.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 12 May 2004, Larry Rosenman wrote:
>
>> I'd LIKE to be able to have PG wrappers for those functions, and have
>> the first invocation of them look via dlsym() for the real ones, and if
>> they are NOT there, use fake functions that assume we are NOT threaded.
>
> Wouldn't it be easier to have a #define?
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong here, but the problem is that we are expecting
> thread functinos to be called x_, while Unixware defines them as pthread_,
> right? so make Unixware specific #defines that map x_ to pthread_ ...
No, we are expecting them to have pthread_*.

On UnixWare, to get the pthread_* functions, you need to invoke a compiler
option (-Kpthread), to cause libpthread to be linked in.

Since libpq.so now REQUIRES the function, we need to either:

1) force ANY program that uses libpq to be compiled/linked with -Kpthread
or
2) dynamically determine if libpthread is loaded and use the real pthread_*
functions if they are there (libpthread is in the image), or use fake
singlethread versions of the pthread_* calls if libpthread is NOT in the
image.