Re: How bad is using queries with thousands of values for operators IN or ANY? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thorsten Schöning
Subject Re: How bad is using queries with thousands of values for operators IN or ANY?
Date
List pgsql-general
Guten Tag Pavel Stehule,
am Montag, 31. August 2020 um 10:51 schrieben Sie:

> It is not good - it increases the memory necessary for query parsing,
> optimizer and executor are slower.

At least memory and I/O were not a problem regarding my tests,
CPU-load was pretty high. But I was unable to see if it's because
comparing IDs or parsing the query or alike.

Can one see the difference somehow? This would be the only chance to
see if splitting the large query up into multiple smaller is an
overall improvement.

> Postgres currently has not any optimization for processing searching in
> these long lists - so this search is very slow against other methods.

Which other methods do you have in mind, populating a temporary table
and joining that? I tested things like those in context of other
queries and creating those tables, indexes etc. introduced more
overhead than the query benefitted.

Additionally, it's not always these large queries. Most of the times
it's far less IDs and things are fast. I even introduced embedding
those IDs because the query was faster afterwards instead of using
some JOIN and comparing the IDs, even though indexes were in place and
used etc.

So for what query size or number of IDs to compare in IN would you
consider a different approach at all?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

Telefon...........05151-  9468- 55