Re: From a real novice - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tamir Halperin
Subject Re: From a real novice
Date
List pgsql-novice

I installed OpenSSL via ports and without a hitch. But, should I see something that refers to openssl when I execute
TOP?If so, then I don't and something is not right.

Also, and I'll paste this from another email I received on a different list,
DM> Aha. This seems to be a fault in /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk around line 930
DM>
DM> .if defined(USE_OPENSSL)
DM> .if ${OSVERSION} >= 400014
DM> .if !exists(/usr/lib/libcrypto.so)
DM> .BEGIN:
DM>         @${ECHO_CMD} "This port requires the OpenSSL library, which is part of"
DM>         @${ECHO_CMD} "the FreeBSD crypto distribution but not installed on your"
DM>
DM> You may try to play with symlinks, but I suppose more natural way is to upgrade
DM> your system to at least 4.6 security branch and install OpenSSL from base
DM> system.
DM>
DM> The last note: you can also re-install openssl port (pkg_delete previous
DM> installation first) within base:
DM>
DM> cd /usr/ports/security/openssl
DM> make OPENSSL_OVERWRITE_BASE=yes
DM> make install

and to which I replied:

TH> After following your instructions regarding the deinstallation of the openssl package and then reinstalling it with
make
TH> OPENSSL_OVERWRITE_BASE=yes, I still get the same message when executing make in the
/usr/ports/databases/postgresql7
TH> directory that tells me I need to first install openssl.
TH>
TH> Here's the output of ldconfig -r | grep crypt:
TH>
TH>     1:-lcrypt.2 => /usr/lib/libcrypt.so.2
TH>     110:-lcrypto.2 => /usr/local/lib/libcrypto.so.2
TH>     111:-lcrypto.3 => /usr/local/lib/libcrypto.so.3
TH>     117:-lmcrypt.8 => /usr/local/lib/libmcrypt.so.8
TH>
TH> I'm sure there's a solution to using postgresql 7.3.2 with openssl. I just don't have it.

> >The issue of upgrading the system came up when someone
> suggested that I
> >don't have crypto installed and that I shouldn't try to mess
> with 4.6 any
> >longer but rather just upgrade to 4.7 or 4.8 (as of today, I
> believe).
> >
> >Then came the issue of how to do that. I have read page
> after page of
> >information on how to upgrade and there's just nothing out
> there that I
> >can make enough sense of.
> >
> >Some people learn a lot better by example rather than by
> formula. I'm one
> >of them. But it appears the entire UNIX community started
> out with people
> >who's brains not only understood formulas easily but even
> liked to build
> >systems and document them in heavily formulaic fashions. My
> challenge.
> >
> >So this is why I thought it would be useful to submit such
> questions to
> >the novice list. What I'm really looking for, I suppose, is
> someone who's
> >willing to spend some time communicating things by example.
> Unfortunately,
> >I have no budget for a high priced consultant at this point.
> An equity
> >partner in a very lucrative project yes! But not a payed consultant.

After reading what I wrote it sounds like I was slammin you guys for being unhelpful. Not my aim at all.

> I shouldn't imagine it would take too long for a skilled
> person to take
> care of this for you -- a day at most, and could be done
> remotely if you
> were available to be with the server at critical times.  What
> other apps do
> you have installed?
>

> > > Tamir, You can write a supfile that will only upgrade
> certain ports.
> >
> >Really? I thought you can only fine tune it down to the
> ports category
> >level of granularity.
>
> True, that's what I meant.  But I don't see why it's an
> issue.  CVSUP on
> databases should only take a few minutes even on a slow dial-up --
> depending on how long it's been since you've CVSUP'd

I just did an entire cvsup on my whole supfile. It took about 25 minutes because it was in fact a long time since I did
itlast. I'm attaching my list of packages.

Attachment