Re: From a real novice - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Rod Kreisler
Subject Re: From a real novice
Date
List pgsql-novice
At 02:04 PM 3/24/2003 -0500, Tamir Halperin wrote:
>Thanks for the insite, Rod.

NP.

> > Tamir,  when installed via ports, a startup script that needs minimal
> > editing will be placed in /usr/local/etc/rc.d
>
>My problem is that I can't get postgresql to install via the ports because
>it wants openssl to be installed. However, I succesfully installed openssl
>so I don't know where to go from here. It's not like I'm going to find a
>chapter in the handbook that describes what to do when an installation
>fails due to a dependancy on another package that is fully installed.

How did you install openSSL?  The port system tracks dependencies and
should've installed openSSL for you.

> > installation support by
> > the most recent
> > >
> > >If you are a newbie, you should not be messing with
> > Postgres-CVS.  Stick to a
> > >stable version instead, which is downloadable from the
> > Postgres web site.
> >
> > Josh,  FreeBSD cvsup has nothing to do with CVS software.  It
> > has to do
> > with upgrading the OS and/or applications.  The name is misleading.
>
>The issue of upgrading the system came up when someone suggested that I
>don't have crypto installed and that I shouldn't try to mess with 4.6 any
>longer but rather just upgrade to 4.7 or 4.8 (as of today, I believe).
>
>Then came the issue of how to do that. I have read page after page of
>information on how to upgrade and there's just nothing out there that I
>can make enough sense of.
>
>Some people learn a lot better by example rather than by formula. I'm one
>of them. But it appears the entire UNIX community started out with people
>who's brains not only understood formulas easily but even liked to build
>systems and document them in heavily formulaic fashions. My challenge.
>
>So this is why I thought it would be useful to submit such questions to
>the novice list. What I'm really looking for, I suppose, is someone who's
>willing to spend some time communicating things by example. Unfortunately,
>I have no budget for a high priced consultant at this point. An equity
>partner in a very lucrative project yes! But not a payed consultant.

I shouldn't imagine it would take too long for a skilled person to take
care of this for you -- a day at most, and could be done remotely if you
were available to be with the server at critical times.  What other apps do
you have installed?

> > Tamir, You can write a supfile that will only upgrade certain ports.
>
>Really? I thought you can only fine tune it down to the ports category
>level of granularity.

True, that's what I meant.  But I don't see why it's an issue.  CVSUP on
databases should only take a few minutes even on a slow dial-up --
depending on how long it's been since you've CVSUP'd