Re: New server: SSD/RAID recommendations? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Graeme B. Bell
Subject Re: New server: SSD/RAID recommendations?
Date
List pgsql-performance
I am unsure about the performance side but, ZFS is generally very attractive to me.

Key advantages:

1) Checksumming and automatic fixing-of-broken-things on every file (not just postgres pages, but your scripts, O/S,
programfiles).
2) Built-in  lightweight compression (doesn't help with TOAST tables, in fact may slow them down, but helpful for other
things).This may actually be a net negative for pg so maybe turn it off.
3) ZRAID mirroring or ZRAID5/6. If you have trouble persuading someone that it's safe to replace a RAID array with a
singledrive... you can use a couple of NVMe SSDs with ZFS mirror or zraid, and  get the same availability you'd get
froma RAID controller. Slightly better, arguably, since they claim to have fixed the raid write-hole problem.
4) filesystem snapshotting

Despite the costs of checksumming etc., I suspect ZRAID running on a fast CPU with multiple NVMe drives will outperform
quitea lot of the alternatives, with great data integrity guarantees.

Haven't built one yet. Hope to, later this year. Steve, I would love to know more about how you're getting on with your
NVMedisk in postgres!

Graeme.