Re: compiling with Visual Studio - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: compiling with Visual Studio
Date
Re: compiling with Visual Studio  (Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine@hi-media.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 19:45, Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to get PL/R binaries built on Windows, which I have not been
> able to do successfully since the switch to Visual Studio from MinGW in
> PostgreSQL 8.3. For some reason the MinGW PL/R binary does not load in
> the VS compiled Postgres. Everything works if I also build PostgreSQL
> with MinGW, but most people want to grab the standard binary release of
> Postgres and combine it with a precompiled binary PL/R.
>
> So in any case, my questions are:
>
> 1) Can Postgres be compiled with VS 2008 yet?

No.

> 2) If not, does anyone have a link for VS 2005? I haven't been able to
> locate it on the MS site.

Yes. I'm unsure if they want that public or anything, so I'll send it
to you offlist :-)

> 3) Once I get Postgres compiling under VS, is the compilation of contrib
> libraries automated as part of the build, or is there anything special I
> would need to do?

The buildscript that's there can generate buildfiles for contrib. I
haven't used it to build "external contrib modules", but it's probably
a pretty good start. If not, just steal the project file from another
contrib module and modify the files it references (yeah, I know,
ugly..)