Build sizes vs docs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Build sizes vs docs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Came cross this when updating the cvs fix. We declare size requirements as:
  Also check that you have sufficient disk space. You will need about  65 MB for the source tree during compilation and
about MB for  the installation directory. An empty database cluster takes about  25 MB; databases take about five times
theamount of space that a  flat text file with the same data would take. If you are going to  run the regression tests
youwill temporarily need up to an extra  90 MB. Use the <command>df</command> command to check free disk

My source *without* compile is 82 Mb, and with a build in it (linux
i686) is 110Mb during compilations, rather than 65.
An empty cluster takes about 33Mb.
The regression database takes about 132Mb.
(this is 8.4)

Should we fix these numbers, or just remove them? They're clearly
platform dependent, but perhaps there's still a point in including
them - mainly as hints?