Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove -w (--ignore-all-space) option from pg_regress's diff - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove -w (--ignore-all-space) option from pg_regress's diff
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 06:58, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:

> Tom Lane wrote:
>>
>> Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> writes:

>>> Looks like this has broken on Windows due to different line endings,
>>> which -w hid from us.
>>>

>> Yeah.  I was waiting for brown_bat to report in before bringing this
>> up on the list, because I don't entirely understand what's happening.
>> So far it appears that the MSVC builds are fine and the MinGW builds
>> are not.  How can that be?  Aren't they using the same diff program?

In most cases, I think they would not use the same diff program, no.
The MSVC builds would be using the one from the gnuwin32 project, and
the mingw one use the one from mingw. It's probably the same diff
source underneath, but it's most likely built with different options.

> They might not be using the same CVS programs, though. It appears that
> Windows CVS (which, for example, red_bat uses) translates line endings to
> CRLF, which is why it passed the regression tests, but MinGW CVS does not,
> which I think is is why narwahl and vaquita failed and why dawn_bat will
> probably fail next go round. brown_bat is on Cygwin and we should not expect
> a change there.

Yeah, I've seen a lot of weirdness with CVS clients on Windows doing
that differently, so that also seems like a very likely reason.