Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove -w (--ignore-all-space) option from pg_regress's diff - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove -w (--ignore-all-space) option from pg_regress's diff
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>> Tom Lane wrote:
>>
>>> Remove -w (--ignore-all-space) option from pg_regress's diff calls.
>>>

>> Looks like this has broken on Windows due to different line endings,
>> which -w hid from us.
>>

> Yeah.  I was waiting for brown_bat to report in before bringing this
> up on the list, because I don't entirely understand what's happening.
> So far it appears that the MSVC builds are fine and the MinGW builds
> are not.  How can that be?  Aren't they using the same diff program?

They might not be using the same CVS programs, though. It appears that
Windows CVS (which, for example, red_bat uses) translates line endings
to CRLF, which is why it passed the regression tests, but MinGW CVS does
not, which I think is is why narwahl and vaquita failed and why dawn_bat
will probably fail next go round. brown_bat is on Cygwin and we should
not expect a change there.

cheers

andrew