Re: For production: 8.4 or 8.3? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: For production: 8.4 or 8.3?
Date
Re: For production: 8.4 or 8.3?
List pgsql-general
2009/7/28 Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@gunduz.org>:

>> > I thought they would get around to changing it now.
>>
>> "They" is me, and it's not changing.  I'm not blowing a chance at
>> in-place upgrade to switch the integer-timestamp default.
>
> FWIW, to follow PostgreSQL defaults, I changed PGDG rpms to use it by
> default. I think this will be the first time that we break compatibility
> between RH RPMs and PGDG ones.
>
> It is your playground, but *IMHO* you should not disable a switch that
> is on by PostgreSQL's default.

Personally, I'm still doubtful about using pg_migrator on any large
scale 8.3->8.4 migration. I'm definitely hoping it will be something I
feel safer about when going from 8.4->8.5. In which case it makes a
lot of sense to me to bite the bullet now, and switch to integer
timestamps. That way, the 8.4->8.5 migration will be easier.

If it's ever going to be changed, I doubt it's going to get any
*easier* than doing it right now.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Self: http://www.hagander.net/