how to examin the database structure with an sql command - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Hans Jeuken
Subject how to examin the database structure with an sql command
Date
List pgsql-general
I am busy writing a table editor in Perl, using the module Pg.pm as
interface to Postgresql. When opening a table in that editor I would like
to find out how the tables in the database are defined.

So far I have considered doing a pg_dump to a file and then examine the
content, but it is so unelegant.

then I have considered the query "SELECT  * FROM pga_layout". Problem here
is that the table pga_layout only not defined when the database has no
tuples yet.

Who is able to give me the big hint here?