Re: [HACKERS] New pg_type for large object - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From darrenk@insightdist.com (Darren King)
Subject Re: [HACKERS] New pg_type for large object
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > What I would like to know is, can a large object data type be added as
> > an internal data type?    The various "lo_" functions should
> > eventually be overloaded (or modified) to be able to use this data
> > type.   But it is not necessary at this time.  I believe this addition
> > is a very low risk change, and I would very much like to get to have
> > it in the 6.3.2 release for distribution.   May I submit the patch, or
> > would someone kindly hack it in for us?
>
> I'm not certain exactly what you want (didn't read very closely and it
> doesn't fall in an area I've worked with) but it is not likely to be in
> v6.3.2 since we're already in the freeze period. However, I would
> suggest revisiting the subject just after the release, perhaps roping in
> others who have worked with large objects (Peter Mount comes to mind).

Think he means that it would be nice if there was a separate type for
representing large object oids.

He has managed to get MS Access to store OLE objects in a table as a large
object thru the ODBC driver.  But the driver needs a way to tell that the
column represents a large object and not just any old oid.

A sort of sub-class of Oid if you will...a type of lo_oid that _is_ an oid,
but has a separate type in the system tables.

darrenk