Re: [HACKERS] On improving OO support in posgresql and relaxing oid bottleneck at the same time - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From dg@illustra.com (David Gould)
Subject Re: [HACKERS] On improving OO support in posgresql and relaxing oid bottleneck at the same time
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Just for everyones information. In Illustra, an oid is 64 bits. The low
order 32 bits are (approximately), the row identifier within a table. The
high order 32bits the table identifier (which then works out to be the
same as the oid of the row in the tables table for the table in question).

Oids are unique for the life of the system. Limits are 4G tables, 4G rows
per table.

I for some reason have never bothered to remember, but I think inheritance
is done via separate tables.

-dg

David Gould            dg@illustra.com           510.628.3783 or 510.305.9468
Informix Software  (No, really)         300 Lakeside Drive  Oakland, CA 94612
 - Linux. Not because it is free. Because it is better.