Re: pl/{perl,pgsql} (was Re: AW: [HACKERS] triggers, views and ru - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From ocie@paracel.com
Subject Re: pl/{perl,pgsql} (was Re: AW: [HACKERS] triggers, views and ru
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jan Wieck wrote:
> > BTW.: How do you write an input or output function in pl/tcl if all you get
> > is the external representation ?
>
>     Impossible.

We could have the backend check file permissions, open the file and
pass the file pointer to the pl/tcl procedure.  This sounds a bit
complicated I know.  It seems to me that we would want at least a
"stdout" available to the procedure so that it can "talk to" the user.
If we provide stdin, stdout and stderr, then we could use redirection
to pipe input to and from a procedure.

Ocie Mitchell