RE: [HACKERS] Bug? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom I Helbekkmo
Subject RE: [HACKERS] Bug?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, 8 Feb 1998, Michael Meskes wrote:

> Only if it is out of range it will go to float instead of giving
> back an error message. Where could that be a problem?

My worry about that is for the (unlikely, but possible) case where a
user gives a large number as a constant in a query, believing it to be
an integer.  If we signal an error, the user will know that the number
was out of range.  If not, we may end up doing calculations on floats
that the user wanted done on integers.  This may mean losing accuracy,
which is something you don't want to do behind the user's back.

-tih
--
Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity.  --Niles Crane, "Frasier"