Variable block size... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From darrenk@insightdist.com (Darren King)
Subject Variable block size...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I have the variable block size working, but haven't changed
the varchar/char limits to vary with the chosen size. (Also
not positive that I've found everywhere that should be check
the block size).

Without the increased char sizes, there really isn't too much
benefit to changing the disk block size.

I'll do that tomorrow evening though.  Damn bean-counters here
at work turn the thermostats back to 55F on the weekends.  Not
bad in the day as my cubicle faces east, but come 5:30 and the
joint freezes up again.

Also grep'd around the src for increasing the packet size to
32768 (or _32769_ for _libpq_).

Why oh why does libpq have a max size of 8193?  Is the extra 1
a hack?  Drove me nuts trying to figure out where the max packet
size begin set at 8k...finally grep'd for 819 and there it was.

Looks like this variable size stuff will be the first new feature
for 6.4 then, eh? :)

Time to split, my hands are almost too cold to type any more...

darrenk