Re: backup -restore question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: backup -restore question
Date
List pgsql-general
On 7/13/20 12:12 PM, Julie Nishimura wrote:
> Hello there,
> One of our PostgreSQL 9.4.1  databases has been backed up as *.gz file
> with the compression 9 "pg_dump -Z 9". What is the right format of
> restore this file when needed? Can I run the restore from a compressed
> file or I need to unzip the file first, then run pg_restore? Thanks

It depends on whether you dumped using the custom format -Fc or plain(no
-F or -Fp). If the custom format then you run pg_restore against it. If
the plain format then you will to unzip first then feed the file to psql.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com