Re: how to securely delete the storage freed when a table is dropped? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ozz Nixon
Subject Re: how to securely delete the storage freed when a table is dropped?
Date
List pgsql-general
There are free utilities that do government leave wipes. The process would be, drop the table, shrink the old table
spacethen (if linux based), dd fill the drive, and use wipe, 5x or 8x deletion to make sure the drive does not have
readableimprints on the platers.

Now what Jonathan mentions - sounds like he wants to do the same to the physical table. Never dabbling into PSQL’s
storageand optimization algorithms, I would first assume, a script to do a row by row update table set field1…fieldx,
differentdata patterns, existing field value length and field max length. Run the script at least 5 to 8 times, then
dropthe table .. the problem will be, does PSQL use a new page as you do this, then you are just playing with yourself.
Letalone, how does PSQL handle indexes - new pages, or overwrite the existing page? And is any NPI (Non-Public-Info)
datain the index itself?

   * So any PSQL core-engine guys reading?

O.

> On Apr 13, 2018, at 3:03 PM, Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On 04/13/2018 12:48 PM, Jonathan Morgan wrote:
>> For a system with information stored in a PostgreSQL 9.5 database, in which data stored in a table that is deleted
mustbe securely deleted (like shred does to files), and where the system is persistent even though any particular table
likelywon't be (so can't just shred the disks at "completion"), I'm trying to figure out my options for securely
deletingthe underlying data files when a table is dropped.

>> As background, I'm not a DBA, but I am an experienced implementor in many languages, contexts, and databases. I've
lookedonline and haven't been able to find a way to ask PostgreSQL to do the equivalent of shredding its underlying
filesbefore releasing them to the OS when a table is DROPped. Is there a built-in way to ask PostgreSQL to do this? (I
mightjust not have searched for the right thing - my apologies if I missed something)

>> A partial answer we're looking at is shredding the underlying data files for a given relation and its indexes
manuallybefore dropping the tables, but this isn't so elegant, and I'm not sure it is getting all the information from
thetables that we need to delete.

>> We also are looking at strategies for shredding free space on our data disk - either running a utility to do that,
orperiodically replicating the data volume, swapping in the results of the copy, then shredding the entire volume that
wasthe source so its "free" space is securely overwritten in the process.

>> Are we missing something? Are there other options we haven't found? If we have to clean up manually, are there other
placeswe need to go to shred data than the relation files for a given table, and all its related indexes, in the
database'sfolder? Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

> I'd write a program that fills all free space on disk with a specific pattern.  You're probably using a logging
filesystem,so that'll be far from perfect, though.