Re: best use of an EMC SAN - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Dan Gorman
Subject Re: best use of an EMC SAN
Date
List pgsql-performance
We do something similar here. We use Netapp and I carve one aggregate
per data volume. I generally keep the pg_xlog on the same "data" LUN,
but I don't mix other databases on the same aggregate.

In the NetApp world because they use RAID DP (dual parity) you have a
higher wastage of drives, however, you are guaranteed that an
erroneous query won't clobber the IO of another database.

In my experience, NetApp has utilities that set "IO priority" but
it's not granular enough as it's more like using "renice" in unix. It
doesn't really make that big of a difference.

My recommendation, each database gets it's own aggregate unless the
IO footprint is very low.

Let me know if you need more details.

Regards,
Dan Gorman