Re: INSERT INTO FROM SELECT - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From lmanorders
Subject Re: INSERT INTO FROM SELECT
Date
List pgsql-novice
Thanks Andrej.
The problem seems to be that inside the 'insert' command, the 'select'
command isn't returning the accounts 'acctno' in 'acctno' order, even though
I'm including an 'order by acctno' option. The way the insert command is
written, I'm expecting the 'lineno' and 'bdgtacct' to both end up in
ascending order. If I query rprtfrmt and request 'order by lineno', the
'bdgtacct's should also be in order, but they aren't. (I hope this makes
sense.)
Thanks,
Lynn

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrej
Sent: Monday, June 02, 2014 6:00 PM
To: lmanorders
Cc: pgsql-novice
Subject: Re: [NOVICE] INSERT INTO FROM SELECT

Hi Lynn,

To the best of my knowledge the SQL standard doesn't define that data
inside a table needs
to be stored in any given order. If you expect to see it in a certain
sequence define that at query time,
when you retrieve the data?

Cheers,
Andrej

--
Please don't top post, and don't use HTML e-Mail :}  Make your quotes
concise.