a few questions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From surabhi.ahuja
Subject a few questions
Date
List pgsql-general
 I have a few questions:
1. what is pg_xlog
someone told me that i can move pg_xlog to a different parttion in order to boost the performance? Does it work and how

2. there is a parameter in postgresql.conf called max_connections. which is 100 be default. i want o decrease it to 20.
by doing this how much can i increase the value of shared buffers?
by default it is 1000, how much can i increase to in order to boost up the performance

3. What other things can i do to boost up the performance assuming that the stored procedures are well optimized.

4. I recently tried to start postmaster. But it simply timed out. i tried to find out if there is any postmaster process running, but it was not running.
my question is that can u decrease this timeout, right now i think it takes some 1 or 2 minutes...

5. i have also seen multiple instances of postmaster.
in my script ot start postmaster i first check if it is running by doing pidof, and only if it is nor running i start it
still have seen multiple instances.
how did that happen? also if i stop postmaster, only one instance is stopped.

is there any command to stop all instances of postmaster

6. what does ipcclean do? how do i know what shared memory was used by postmaster so that i can clear it, before starting postmaster

7. some times if i do a dropdb abc(assuming abc is a database)
it displays a message can not remove directory 12345, although the database is dropped, what shuld be done in such a case?

thanks,
regards
Surabhi