Re: postgres log file - Mailing list pgsql-general

From surabhi.ahuja
Subject Re: postgres log file
Date
List pgsql-general
how do i  "Use the syslog daemon to record your logs."

thanks,
regards
Surabhi

From: Richard Huxton [mailto:dev@archonet.com]
Sent: Thu 12/1/2005 3:07 PM
To: surabhi.ahuja
Cc: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] postgres log file

***********************
Your mail has been scanned by InterScan VirusWall.
***********-***********

surabhi.ahuja wrote:
>  the postgreslog has permission - 777, so anyone is able to write in it.
> that s why it is atleast showing

>> LOG:  logger shutting down
>
> but i want more logging to be done ..how can it be done ..

Oh - I thought the message was being echoed to STDERR. You'll still want
to setup a directory to store the log-files in, otherwise they can't be
rotated. Create /var/log/postgresql and make sure it's owned by the
"postgres" user (or whoever the db runs as) and is only writable by that
user.

Anyway, as far as I can see, this message is only produced when there is
no database process for the logger to read from (see file
backend/postmaster/syslogger.c about line 360).

This implies the system itself is shutting down. Are you still having
problems with your custom startup script?

Two things I'd consider:
1. Install from a package (8.1 should be available for most platforms now).
2. Use the syslog daemon to record your logs.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd