Re: AW: AW: BUG #18147: ERROR: invalid perminfoindex 0 in RTE with relid xxxxx - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: AW: AW: BUG #18147: ERROR: invalid perminfoindex 0 in RTE with relid xxxxx
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Amit Langote <amitlangote09@gmail.com> writes:
> On Wed, Oct 25, 2023 at 4:07 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> I suspect that now this should just unconditionally clear
>> childrte->perminfoindex, but it's minor cleanup not a bug fix
>> so I didn't pursue that in the initial patch.

> Would you like me to apply something like the attached?

Diff looks fine, but I'm not sure that it's appropriate to characterize
the existing code as an oversight.  It was a necessary hack while the
executor was behaving as it did (ie, using the first child as root).

>> * It seems like ModifyTable.nominalRelation and
>> ModifyTable.rootRelation are pretty darn redundant.  Maybe we
>> should make an effort to get rid of one of them.  Or maybe
>> it's not worth the trouble.

> We had a discussion on unifying the two before:
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/12148.1538938507%40sss.pgh.pa.us

Ah, so we did.  The "serve different masters" argument did re-occur
to me while I was looking at this yesterday, but I'm not sure how
strong it is really.  Anyway, I'm also content to leave it be.

            regards, tom lane