Re: ODBC and crypted passwords - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: ODBC and crypted passwords
Date
Re: ODBC and crypted passwords  (Stephen Davies <scldad@sdc.com.au>)
List pgsql-interfaces
Magnus Hagander <mha@sollentuna.net> writes:

>> I imagine the problem is that he doesn't want to depend on the 'crypt'
>> library, which is standard on Unixen but not (AFAIK) on Windows.
>> Otherwise it'd be easy to transpose libpq's code into the odbc driver.
>> (OTOH, I believe there are ports of libpq for Windows, so
>> maybe crypt() is available there?  Anyone know?)

> Actually, the crypt()ed authentication is not supported on libpq for Win32.
> I meant to do this, but I had completely forgotten...

Hmm.  Can we find a freely-distributable version of libcrypt anywhere?

(Actually, now that I think about it, I'm not entirely sure that crypt()
implements exactly the same transformation on every Unix platform.
It may be that you have to have a version of crypt() that matches the
one on your server's platform.  That would be a pain in the neck ...
but if we did find an open-source libcrypt, maybe we could standardize
on using it in preference to vendor crypts...)
        regards, tom lane