Re: PostgreSQL runs a query much slower than BDE and MySQL - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PostgreSQL runs a query much slower than BDE and MySQL
Date
List pgsql-performance
"Peter Hardman" <peter@ssbg.zetnet.co.uk> writes:
> On 17 Aug 2006 at 14:33, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I found a couple of minor planner problems, which I've repaired in CVS
>> HEAD.  You might consider using TEXT columns instead of VARCHAR(n),

> As someone else suggested, these fields ought really to be CHAR no VARCHAR.

That should be fine too.  VARCHAR is sort of a poor stepchild in
Postgres, because it piggybacks on TEXT's operators --- but CHAR
has different comparison rules, hence its own operators, hence
doesn't trip over that bug.

There's still some things that don't add up to me, like the question
of the pkey column order.  Will look some more.

            regards, tom lane