Re: code question: storing INTO relation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: code question: storing INTO relation
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Fri, 2004-11-12 at 23:13, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Greg is correct --- at least for btree build, which is the only index
>> type we have WAL-ified at all :-(

> Is there a place (or a single best place) to document this behaviour?

If you're talking about the lack of WAL backup for non-btree indexes,
it is documented (at the end of the PITR section IIRC).

If you're talking about the optimization of not logging index builds,
I don't see a need to document that per se.  Ordinary users shouldn't
need to care, mainly because they can't affect it one way or the other.
Anyone who does care can look at the code and see how it's done.  (Open
source has a big advantage over closed source in that regard, and I
think it's reasonable to have different documentation practices than
closed-source products would use.)