Re: autovacuum and immediate shutdown issues - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: autovacuum and immediate shutdown issues
Date
List pgsql-general
Brad Nicholson <bnichols@ca.afilias.info> writes:
> autoanalyze will automatically analyze new tables when they don't have
> stats.  It seems logical that it should handle this case where the table
> also does not have stats.

It will autoanalyze once a sufficient number of inserts have occurred.
The effect of a crash is just to reset the inserts-since-last-analyze
counters.  You really haven't made the case why that's so awful that
we need to do things that are unpleasant along other dimensions in order
to avoid it.  (The only ways of avoiding it that I can see would result
in very significant overhead added to the stats collection mechanism.)

            regards, tom lane