Re: jsonb on-disk size calculation - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: jsonb on-disk size calculation
Date
List pgsql-general
On 7/31/23 04:10, jian he wrote:

> hi.
>
> drop table x;
> create table x(js jsonb);
> insert into x select '{"Hello world":1}'::jsonb;
> select pg_column_size(js) from x;-- return 33.
>
> based on src/include/utils/jsonb.h
> The key and value part is 20 bytes (is it correct?), Jsonb->vl_len_  is
> 4 byte, JsonbContainer->header is 4 bytes. That's 28 bytes.
>
> but now on-disk is 33 bytes.
> so I am not sure where the remaining bytes are.

I don't claim to understand all this but from jsonb.h

/*
  * JsonbValue:  In-memory representation of Jsonb.  This is a convenient
  * deserialized representation, that can easily support using the "val"
  * union across underlying types during manipulation.  The Jsonb on-disk
  * representation has various alignment considerations.
  */

/*
  * Key/value pair within an Object.
  *
  * This struct type is only used briefly while constructing a Jsonb; it is
  * *not* the on-disk representation.
  *
  * Pairs with duplicate keys are de-duplicated.  We store the originally
  * observed pair ordering for the purpose of removing duplicates in a
  * well-defined way (which is "last observed wins").
  */

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com