Re: Version upgrade: is restoring the postgres database needed? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron Johnson
Subject Re: Version upgrade: is restoring the postgres database needed?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 03/01/2018 08:46 AM, Melvin Davidson wrote:

On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 5:24 AM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:

Or do we just apply the globals.sql created by "pg_dumpall --globals-only"?

(We're upgrading by restoring all databases on a new server, that, naturally, has it's own new postgres, template0 and template1 databases.)

>is restoring the postgres database needed?

That would depend on how you did the dump. If you did a_complete pg_dumpall (did not use -g or any other limiting flags), then all roles and databases are contained
in the output file created. NOTE: restoring from the dumped file will require rebuilding all indexes, because indexes are not dumped.

No, I do:

$ pg_dump -Fc PROD > PROD.pgdump
$ pg_dump --globals-only postgres > globals.sql
$ pg_dump -Fc postgres > postgres.pgdump