Re: Alpha tas() patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Alpha tas() patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> after fresh CVS update: geometry, float8, and oid are still failing,

You're running this on DEC's cc, right?  Geometry and float8 are a
matter of fixing the expected output, I think.  I'm surprised that the
OID test is failing for you --- it passes for me on that Debian box.
Could you step through the oidin_subr routine in
src/backend/utils/adt/oid.c and see what it's getting for intermediate
results?

> I now am seeing the CheckPoint shutdown bug, which leaves the db in an
> unusable state after running the regression tests.

> mnemosyne:~/src/gcc-pgsql
> pgadmin$ pg_ctl start
> postmaster successfully started up
> mnemosyne:~/src/gcc-pgsql
> pgadmin$ DEBUG:  starting up
> DEBUG:  database system was interrupted at 2000-12-28 21:28:39
> DEBUG:  CheckPoint record at (0, 1563064)
> DEBUG:  Redo record at (0, 1563064); Undo record at (0, 0); Shutdown TRUE
> DEBUG:  NextTransactionId: 615; NextOid: 18720
> DEBUG:  database system was not properly shut down; automatic recovery in progress...
> DEBUG:  redo starts at (0, 1563128)
> mnemosyne:~/src/gcc-pgsql
> pgadmin$ Startup failed - abort

Oh, that's interesting.  On the Debian box, restart works fine after
CheckPoint barfs.  We need to look into that and find out why --- if
restart fails in this situation, it would imply that restart after a
system crash would probably fail too.  Can you trace through it and
figure out where it's failing?