Re: pg_am access in simple transaction? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: pg_am access in simple transaction?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 11/25/2016 07:04 AM, pinker wrote:
> Adrian Klaver-4 wrote
>> I can not replicate using 50 clients instead of 2000. I suspect either
>> has to do with the extreme number of clients or it is an artifact of
>> from some other process.
>
> And I have replicated it with 50 clients as well... lsof output:
>
> 51 data/base/13328/2601
>
> command: watch 'lsof -e /run/user/1001/gvfs +D data|awk "{print
> \$NF}"|sort|uniq -c|sort -nr'
>
> Maybe our versions of PostgreSQL differs? I use "PostgreSQL 9.5.4 on
> x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc (GCC) 6.1.1 20160621 (Red Hat
> 6.1.1-3), 64-bit"

No the the versions are the same. It is PEBKAC issue, I was logged in as
wrong user. Running your watch command(minus the -e part which my
version of lsof does not understand) while the Bash script is running
gets the same results. A little digging found that it is used in psql by
describe.c and tab-complete.c:

https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=tree;f=src/bin/psql;h=6b1147ce68192ca381ff4b8221b28fc904176190;hb=HEAD

So are other system catalogs, not sure why this one is showing up?