Tuning read ahead - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ramsey Gurley
Subject Tuning read ahead
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi all,

I've just gotten into my new database server yesterday and I've started doing database setup and tuning.

I'm on a Rackspace Linux server with two raid arrays. Both are ext3. One is a two disk RAID1 I plan on using for WAL
andOS, the other is a four disk RAID10 I will use for the data.

I read in Postgres 9.0 High Performance that one of the most important parameters I should tune is the device
read-ahead.

My question: Is that advice just for the database drive, or should I increase read ahead on the OS/WAL disk as well? I
assumeboth. I should ask the same for noatime advice while I'm at it. Is it important to disable atime on the WAL as
wellas the data?

Thanks,

Ramsey