Re: BUG #11457: The below query crashes 9.3.5, but not 9.3.4 - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #11457: The below query crashes 9.3.5, but not 9.3.4
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> This approach is far more solid than my previous stuff and makes the
> approach I took really brittle...

Hey, the idea to add a field was mine, so don't beat yourself up about
it :-).  Sometimes it takes working out an idea to realize it's bad.

> Looking at your code, I am wondering if
> it would not be safer to add some assertions in find_childrel_top_parent
> and find_childrel_parents, something like a check on RELOPT_BASEREL for
> rel->reloptkind before returning a result. Er, those new functions should
> always finishing by scanning a base rel, right?

Yeah, not a bad idea.

> Btw, this code will need minor adjustments for REL9_2_STABLE and
> REL9_3_STABLE. Is a backpatch down to 9.1 to be considered?

The bugs we're working on here are definitely demonstrable back to 9.2.
I'm not sure about 9.1 yet; but considering that a87c72915 had to get
back-patched as far as 9.1, there may well be some manifestations of
these problems visible in 9.1.  (The new regression test that I wrote
doesn't seem to show any big problems there, but maybe I'm just short
a case or two.)

            regards, tom lane