Re: pgsql: Allow insert and update tuple routing and COPY forforeign table - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Laurenz Albe
Subject Re: pgsql: Allow insert and update tuple routing and COPY forforeign table
Date
List pgsql-committers
On Mon, 2019-04-22 at 14:07 -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> How about just applying the patch from v12 on?
> > Then it is a behavior change in a major release, which is acceptable.
> > It requires the imaginary FDW above to add an empty BeginForeignInsert
> > callback function, but will unbreak FDW that slept through the change
> > that added COPY support.
>
> I fail to see the advantage. It'll still require FDWs to be fixed to
> work correctly for v11, but additionally adds another set of API
> differences that needs to be fixed by another set of FDWs.  I think this
> ship simply has sailed.

I can accept that (having fixed my own FDW), but I am worried that it will
cause problems for FDW users.  Well, I guess they can always avoid COPY if
they don't want FDWs to crash.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe