Re: Add session statistics to pg_stat_database - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Laurenz Albe
Subject Re: Add session statistics to pg_stat_database
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2020-09-24 at 14:38 -0700, Soumyadeep Chakraborty wrote:
> Thanks for submitting this! Please find my feedback below.

Thanks for the thorough review.

Before I update the patch, I have a few comments and questions.

> * Are we trying to capture ONLY client initiated disconnects in
> m_aborted (we are not handling other disconnects by not accounting for
> EOF..like if psql was killed)? If yes, why?

I thought it was interesting to know how many database sessions are
ended regularly as opposed to ones that get killed or end by unexpected
client death.

> * pgstat_send_connstats(): How about renaming the "force" argument to
> "disconnected"?

Yes, that might be better.  I'll do that.

> *
> > static TimestampTz pgStatActiveStart = DT_NOBEGIN;
> > static PgStat_Counter pgStatActiveTime = 0;
> > static TimestampTz pgStatTransactionIdleStart = DT_NOBEGIN;
> > static PgStat_Counter pgStatTransactionIdleTime = 0;
> > static bool pgStatSessionReported = false;
> > bool pgStatSessionDisconnected = false;
>
> I think we can house all of these globals inside PgBackendStatus and can
> follow the protocol for reading/writing fields in PgBackendStatus.
> Refer: PGSTAT_{BEGIN|END}_WRITE_ACTIVITY

Are you sure that is the right way to go?

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't PgBackendStatus for relevant status
information that other processes can access?
I'd assume that it is not the correct place to store backend-private data
that are not relevant to others.
Besides, if data is written to this structure more often, readers would
have deal with more contention, which could affect performance.

But I agree with the following:

> Also, some of these fields are not required:
>
> I don't think we need pgStatActiveStart and pgStatTransactionIdleStart -
> instead of these two we could use
> PgBackendStatus.st_state_start_timestamp which marks the beginning TS of
> the backend's current state (st_state). We can look at that field along
> with the current and to-be-transitioned-to states inside
> pgstat_report_activity() when there is a transition away from
> STATE_RUNNING, STATE_IDLEINTRANSACTION or
> STATE_IDLEINTRANSACTION_ABORTED, in order to update pgStatActiveTime and
> pgStatTransactionIdleTime. We would also need to update those counters
> on disconnect/PGSTAT_STAT_INTERVAL timeout if the backend's current
> state was STATE_RUNNING, STATE_IDLEINTRANSACTION or
> STATE_IDLEINTRANSACTION_ABORTED (in pgstat_send_connstats())

Yes, that would be better.

> pgStatSessionDisconnected is not required as it can be determined if a
> session has been disconnected by looking at the force argument to
> pgstat_report_stat() [unless we would want to distinguish between
> client-initiated disconnects, which I am not sure why, as I have
> brought up above].

But wouldn't that mean that we count *every* end of a session as regular
disconnection, even if the backend was killed?

I personally would want all my database connections to be closed by
the client, unless something unexpected happens.

> pgStatSessionReported is not required. We can glean this information by
> checking if the function local static last_report in
> pgstat_report_stat() is 0 and passing this on as another param
> "first_report" to pgstat_send_connstats().

Yes, that is better.

> * PGSTAT_FILE_FORMAT_ID needs to be updated when a stats collector data
> structure changes and we had a change in PgStat_StatDBEntry.

I think that should be left to the committer.

> * We can directly use PgBackendStatus.st_proc_start_timestamp for
> calculating m_session_time. We can also choose to report session uptime
> even when the report is for the not-disconnect case
> (PGSTAT_STAT_INTERVAL elapsed). No reason why not. Then we would need to
> pass in the value of last_report to pgstat_send_connstats() -> calculate
> m_session_time to be number of time units from
> PgBackendStatus.st_proc_start_timestamp for the first report and then
> number of time units from the last_report for all subsequent reports.

Yes, that would make for better statistics, since client connections
can last quite long.

> * We would need to bump the catalog version since we have made
> changes to system views. Refer: #define CATALOG_VERSION_NO

Again, I think that's up to the committer.

Thanks again!

Yours,
Laurenz Albe