Re: libpq_r - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Larry Rosenman
Subject Re: libpq_r
Date
List pgsql-hackers

--On Thursday, July 24, 2003 08:52:37 -0400 Bruce Momjian
<pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:

> Lee Kindness wrote:
>> Guys, take a look at what was done in libpq to make it
>> thread-safe... No locks! No overheaded - just using "proper" reentrant
>> functions...
>>
>> If we have libpq_r then we're making a complete hash of it all - being
>> reentrant is good, even if you're not using threads!
>>
>> Now, ecpg is another issue...
>>

> I think the issue is that using a threaded library to link into libpq
> could have locking stuff.
>
> My guess is that if the OS has separate threaded libs, we have to mimic
> that stuff.
possibly.  On UnixWare, the original executable in the process needs to
have -K[p]thread
specified to get libthread included.  I'll be adding -D_REENTRANT to the
libpq build for
UnixWare to make sure that libpq is threadsafe, but doesn't include the
thread library as
a pre-requisite per input from SCO.

BTW, Bruce, SCO OpenServer does NOT have threads.

LER