Re: Errors with schema migration and logical replication — expected? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Errors with schema migration and logical replication — expected?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 12/9/18 8:03 AM, Mike Lissner wrote:

>     The above seems to be the crux of the problem, how did NULL get into
>     the
>     column data?
>

> I agree. My queries are generated by Django (so I never write SQL
> myself), but:
>
>   - the column has always been NOT NULL for its entire lifetime

The lifetime being since the migration did this?:

ALTER TABLE "search_docketentry" ADD COLUMN "recap_sequence_number"
varchar(50) DEFAULT '' NOT NULL;
ALTER TABLE "search_docketentry" ALTER COLUMN "recap_sequence_number"
DROP DEFAULT;

Also does the column recap_sequence_number appear in any other tables.
Just wondering if the error was on another table?

>   - we don't send *any* SQL commands to the replica yet, so that's not a
> factor (for now it's just a live backup)
>   - the publisher now has a NOT NULL constraint on that column. I never
> had to clear out null values to put it in place. I assume that if that

This part confuses me. You seem to imply that the column existed before
the migration and you just added a NOT NULL constraint. The migration
shows the column being created with a NOT NULL constraint.

> column ever had a null value and I tried to run a DDL to add a null
> constraint, the DDL would have failed, right?
>
> Something feels wrong here, the more I think about it.

A start would be to figure out what generated?:

failing row contains (48064261, 2018-12-07 04:48:40.388377+00,
2018-12-07 04:48:40.388402+00, null, 576, , 4571214, null, null)

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com