Re: - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tom Lane
Subject Re:
Date
List pgsql-sql
Humair Mohammed <humairm@hotmail.com> writes:
> I am running into a behavior with a postgresql function with a SETOF refcursor's returning multiple columns. Not sure
ifthere is a different way to retrieve a SETOF refcursor's with variable columns? Alternatively can I return a
primitivevalue and a refcursor from the same function. I tried specifying this as OUT parameters without any luck. In
Oracleyou can pass this in functions:

> Platform:postgresql-x64-9.0 (PostgreSQL 9.0.1, compiled by Visual C++ build 1500, 64-bit)Java1.6JDBC4 Postgresql
Driver,Version 9.0-801

> Function:CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION test()  RETURNS SETOF refcursor AS$BODY$DECLAREref1 refcursor;ref2
refcursor;BEGIN         OPEN ref1 FOR SELECT 1;         RETURN NEXT ref1;          OPEN ref2 FOR SELECT 2, 3;
RETURNNEXT ref2;          RETURN;END;    $BODY$  LANGUAGE plpgsql

> Java Code:CallableStatement cs = conn.prepareCall("{ call test() }");ResultSet rs = cs.executeQuery();
> while (rs.next()) {    System.out.println(rs.getString(1));    ResultSet rs2 = (ResultSet)rs.getObject(1);    while
(rs2.next()){        ResultSetMetaData rsmd = rs2.getMetaData();        int numberOfColumns = rsmd.getColumnCount();
   System.out.println("numberOfColumns: " + numberOfColumns);        System.out.println(rs2.getString(1));
System.out.println(rs2.getString(2));   }}

> Output:<unnamed portal 1>numberOfColumns: 11org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: The column index is out of range: 2,
numberof columns: 1.        at
org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2ResultSet.checkColumnIndex(AbstractJdbc2ResultSet.java:2680)       at
org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2ResultSet.checkResultSet(AbstractJdbc2ResultSet.java:2697)       at
org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2ResultSet.getString(AbstractJdbc2ResultSet.java:1872)       at
PgBlob.test(PgBlob.java:64)       at PgBlob.main(PgBlob.java:37)

> It appears the second result-set takes in the number of columns from the first irrespective of the number of columns
fromthe second. If the change the function to return 2 refcursor's with same number of columns then it works as
expected.
> Function:CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION test()  RETURNS SETOF refcursor AS$BODY$DECLAREref1 refcursor;ref2
refcursor;BEGIN         OPEN ref1 FOR SELECT 1, null;         RETURN NEXT ref1;          OPEN ref2 FOR SELECT 2, 3;
   RETURN NEXT ref2;          RETURN;END;    $BODY$  LANGUAGE plpgsql

> Output:<unnamed portal 1>numberOfColumns: 214<unnamed portal 2>numberOfColumns: 223

The example function works okay for me in psql.  I think this is
actually a question about how to deal with such cases through the JDBC
driver, so I'd suggest asking on the pgsql-jdbc list.  (Perhaps in a
less messy format this time, and could we ask for a useful Subject:
line too?)
        regards, tom lane