Re: Catastrophic changes to PostgreSQL 8.4 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Catastrophic changes to PostgreSQL 8.4
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> writes:
>> CREATE DATABASE bacula ENCODING 'SQL_ASCII';
>> ERROR: �new encoding (SQL_ASCII) is incompatible with the encoding of the
>> template database (UTF8)
>> HINT: �Use the same encoding as in the template database, or use template0 as
>> template.

> Actually I'm kind of surprised at this. I don't see a reason not to
> allow converting a template to SQL_ASCII from any encoding given that
> we're going to allow them to put random bytes into the database
> afterwards. Why not let them start with random bytes?

Hm, that's a good point, although we should still enforce that the new
database's LC_xxx settings be C/POSIX if it's SQL_ASCII.  My guess is
that the initdb environment had some non-C locale, so this example would
have failed the next error check anyway.