Re: grant the right to select only certain rows? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Campano, Troy
Subject Re: grant the right to select only certain rows?
Date
List pgsql-general
You could create a VIEW and in that view show only grade level 1; and give
her access just to that view.

-----Original Message-----
From: Fran Fabrizio [mailto:ffabrizio@mmrd.com]
Sent: Friday, January 25, 2002 12:04 PM
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: [GENERAL] grant the right to select only certain rows?

If I have a table students:

name    grade_level
Joe        1
Kim        1
Lisa        2
Mike        2

And I have two database users, mary_smith and tom_white.  If Mary Smith is
the 1st grade teacher, is there any way to grant her access to only select
rows where grade_level=1?  I think GRANT only works as a table-wide
permission, but a co-worker thinks he has seen similar behavior in Oracle,
like "GRANT SELECT AS SELECT * FROM STUDENTS WHERE grade_level = 1
ON students FOR USER mary_smith"   (Rough approximation of the type of
query I am looking for).

Thanks,
Fran