Re: Shutting down postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Troy.Campano@LibertyMutual.com
Subject Re: Shutting down postgresql
Date
List pgsql-general
That's what I was looking for.  Thank you!

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Lane [mailto:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us]
Sent: Friday, December 28, 2001 11:43 AM
To: Peter Darley
Cc: Campano, Troy; pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Shutting down postgresql

"Peter Darley" <pdarley@Kinesis-CEM.com> writes:
>     Something that caught me up at first is that PostgreSQL won't shut
> down until all it's backends close, which means that if you have an
> application connected that uses pooled or cached connections you will
> probably have to shut it down first.

This depends on how the postmaster is commanded to shut down.  I think what
Troy is looking for is the various stop-mode options to pg_ctl:
http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/app-pg-ctl.html
or perhaps he wants to know about the underlying signals that can be sent to
the postmaster:
http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/postmaster-shutdown.html

            regards, tom lane